Strawberry - the perfect creation

Strawberry - the perfect creation

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Words do matter, in my view.

By Penny Parker
Mark & I went to a Matt & Kim concert the other night. Fun music by a couple of young energetic entertainers! Yet, to quote Matt: "Kim has the mouth of a 60 year old sailor and the body of a 15 year old boy." I'm not concerned with the latter but I am with the former. 

I have been to quite a lot of concerts in my life and yet, no performer came close to using the foul language that came out of Kim's mouth. Truthfully though I would have just forgotten about it except for one thing. This was an all ages show. There were a couple of young boys standing near us. A dad had his little boy on his shoulders. There were quite a number of people who were under 18 and many between 18-21.

My opinion is that this behavior shows a complete lack of respect for your fans. I didn't pay money to listen to a rude performer who can't control herself. Or worse yet, who doesn't care to. She made mention at one point of how she wasn't going to swear again for the rest of the show, and then she proceeded to just do it more.

We brought up our sons to not use bad language. Not that we never curse, not that they never curse. It is just common courtesy to be respectful of when and where you do. It also just makes you sound common and ignorant if every other word from your mouth might make your grandmother's hair curl.

So that's my two cents. It's been bothering me for two days now and I had to get it off of my chest.




4 comments:

  1. I spent about 15 minutes researching "Matt and Kim" They're a captivating band with a NY curve. I viewed 3/4 U- Tubes on them. Kim hardly talks and seems quite meek… She must be bipolar or she was drunk that night. But according to Matt this is her style. I agree with you. With my present knowledge minus your in put I would have thought I was going into a clean concert … I have no reluctance about getting foul mouthed and gritty but then the audience should be informed before adolescent ears are admitted… and I could not enjoy if I know I'm sharing a room with youngsters. I say write her a letter. Your Fan, Ginni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ginni, I had no idea the concert would be like this! Their songs were really fun when I heard them on the radio or watched on YouTube. Really just the kind of thing a lot of young kids would like too. It really bothered me to be there with all those kids, much more than it would bother them. And I have already wrote to them, did it the next morning. thanks Ginni! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too. I have a pretty bad mouth sometimes, I'll admit. But I have never made my grandmother's hair curl, because I don't talk that way around her. I think it is important for kids (and adults too) to know how to speak and at what time. That was inappropriate for an all ages show. I have gotten a good laugh from some pretty vulgar jokes at an adult stand up show. And of course words matter- words start wars for goodness sake! This performer obviously could use a lesson in basic manners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your words AJA! And I love that old Eddie Murphy standup, one of the most vulgar shows done! LOL

    ReplyDelete